Wondering if a career in industrial drafting is right for you?
One way to find out is by looking at recent job postings in the field. How do employers describe the role? What skills will you need to get hired?
And of course, what training is required to actually qualify for one of those jobs.
Don't really feel like spending hours scouring job websites? No problem. We did it for you.
We looked at dozens of entry-level industrial drafting jobs in Montreal, and analyzed salaries, responsibilities, required skills and training.
Read on to get the latest info and decide whether industrial drafting is your ideal career.
Typical responsibilities for entry-level industrial drafting jobs
These are some of the tasks and responsibilities that appeared most often in the industrial drafting jobs we analyzed.
These duties are consistently listed as employment requirements, regardless of the company.
So, you can assume that as an entry-level industrial drafter, you will be expected to:
- Produce detailed engineering designs, concepts, schematics, and drawings, based on calculations and initial concepts provided by managers or clients
- Prepare documentation packages and produce drawing sets
- Create accurate Bills of Materials
- Modify/correct existing drawings
- Provide technical support for other departments (production, inside sales, customer service)
- Maintain electronic files and updated hard copies
Most-wanted skills for beginner industrial drafters
What skills are employers looking for in entry-level drafting candidates?
Based on the job postings we reviewed, there are specific technical skills and general qualities you will need to be successful in this career.
Here are the ones that are mentioned most often:
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and other CAD applications
- 2D drawing and 3D modelling skills
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project and Access)
- Most Montreal-based jobs require English and French, written and spoken, or describe bilingualism as a key "asset"
- Knowledge of manufacturing and fabrication processes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for coordinating with managers, clients, internal teams, etc. (being a good "team player" is important for this role)
- Very strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines (strongly emphasized across all the job postings we looked at)
- Quick learner, adaptable, and eager for self-development
- Takes the initiative, does research and consults with peers to find creative solutions to design and drafting challenges
industrial drafting employment outlook for Montreal
What's the quickest way to get a snapshot of the job market in your field? Look up your job on the Government of Canada Job Bank.
Every few years, the Job Bank releases research on hundreds of occupations. They provide details on entry-level, average, and advanced salaries.
If you look at the Job Bank report for drafting technologists, you'll see that Quebec as a whole received 2/3 stars for employment.
They say there is "moderate employment growth" and steady demand for industrial drafters.
Also, a large number of people are expected to retire—opening up new positions for drafting program graduates.
Industrial drafting salaries
We looked at the Job Bank Wage Report and compared many job postings to find salary information for drafting technologists in Montreal.
According to the Job Bank, the median salary for drafters in Quebec is $24/hour (about $49,000/year).
This salary goes up to about $68,000 for the more experienced drafting professionals.
Some of the beginner jobs we looked at were offering about $40,000/year, so you can expect to start at about $35,000 - $45,000.
Many of the jobs we researched also offered competitive benefits packages.
Still have questions?
Looking for more information on industrial drafting training and careers?
Explore the Industrial Drafting program at Herzing College Montreal. Training takes just 14 months and includes a 3-week internship.
Our graduates are qualified for several jobs, including:
- Drafting Technologist
- Computer-Assisted Drafting (CAD) Technician
- Mechanical draftsperson
Click below for more information and to chat live with an Admissions Advisor. We're here to help!